Perex text. Easy to prepare, around 500 Kcal of energy. There should be something because of index page…
Thai Chicken Lettuce CupsPrint Recipe
- 1lb / 500g lean chicken mince (ground chicken)
- 4 large or 8 small lettuce leaves, to serve (I used iceberg)
- ½ red onion, cut into 4 wedges then finely sliced
- ⅓ cup cilantro / coriander leaves, plus extra to garnish
- ⅓ cup mint leaves, plus extra to garnish
- 2 tbsp uncooked rice (any rice is fine) OR 2 tsp cornstarch / corn flour (optional) (Note 1)
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp peanut oil (or other high smoke point cooking oil)
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated or very finely chopped
- 3 tbsp crushed peanuts (optional)
- 2½ tbsp lime juice (1 to 2 limes)
- 1½ tbsp fish sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lemon grass stalk, white and very pale green part only, finely chopped (Note 1)
- 2 birds eye chilli, deseeded and finely chopped (adjust to taste)
Optional step: Heat a wok (or heavy based fry pan) over high heat. Add the rice and dry cook for 5 minutes until it turns dark golden brown. Remove into a mortar and pestle and ground into powder.
Place water and rice powder OR cornstarch (if using) into a small bowl. Mix into a slurry. Add lime juice, fish sauce and sugar and mix to combine. Set aside.
Heat peanut oil in a wok (or heavy based fry pan) over medium high heat. Add ginger, garlic, lemongrass and chilli and sauté for 45 seconds to 1 minute until fragrant. Do not let the garlic burn, it will taste bitter.
Add the chicken and turn up the heat to high. Cook the chicken, breaking up the mince into small pieces.
Once the chicken turns white and is almost cooked through (about 4 minutes), add the sauce from Step 2. Cook for 45 seconds to 1 minute to coat the chicken and for the sauce to thicken.
Remove wok from heat. Stir through onion, coriander/cilantro and mint.
Spoon into lettuce cups and serve. Garnish with extra mint, coriander/cilantro leaves and peanuts, if using.
Alternatively, serve the Larb in bowls with the lettuce cups on the side so people can help themselves.